english possessive pronouns

{ bidder: 'triplelift', params: { inventoryCode: 'Cambridge_MidArticle' }}, They refer back to a noun or noun phrase already used, replacing it to avoid repetition: \"I said that phone was mine.\" 1. { bidder: 'ix', params: { siteId: '195464', size: [120, 600] }}, googletag.cmd.push(function() { yours. { bidder: 'onemobile', params: { dcn: '8a969411017171829a5c82bb4deb000b', pos: 'cdo_leftslot_160x600' }}, { bidder: 'openx', params: { unit: '539971065', delDomain: 'idm-d.openx.net' }}, { bidder: 'onemobile', params: { dcn: '8a969411017171829a5c82bb4deb000b', pos: 'cdo_topslot_728x90' }}, He has the red ball. {code: 'ad_rightslot', pubstack: { adUnitName: 'cdo_rightslot', adUnitPath: '/2863368/rightslot' }, mediaTypes: { banner: { sizes: [[300, 250]] } }, The United Kingdom's international organisation for cultural relations and educational opportunities. Do the same thing for possessive … if(success && (tcData.eventStatus === 'useractioncomplete' || tcData.eventStatus === 'tcloaded')) { 'buckets': [{ Grammarfan07 replied on 7 December, 2020 - 19:36 Kyrgyzstan. We use pronouns to refer to possession and ‘belonging’. Is it yours? The basic sentences above demonstrate how possessive pronouns can be used in sentences. { bidder: 'sovrn', params: { tagid: '446382' }}, A pronoun is a word that is used in place of a noun. Free interactive exercises to practice online or download as pdf to print. { bidder: 'triplelift', params: { inventoryCode: 'Cambridge_MidArticle' }}, var mapping_topslot_b = googletag.sizeMapping().addSize([746, 0], [[728, 90]]).addSize([0, 0], []).build(); }; var pbTabletSlots = [ }, its* we. Reference Practice. One doesn’t like to spend too much time on one’s own. They cheat on with tests answers as they think native citizens are not able to notice it. var pbHdSlots = [ googletag.cmd.push(function() { expires: 60 This book is my book, not your book. replace a noun. It’s means ‘it is’: The team is proud of its ability to perform consistently well. Both options are grammatically possible, though I would say the second sentence does not need the word 'and'. {code: 'ad_btmslot_a', pubstack: { adUnitName: 'cdo_btmslot', adUnitPath: '/2863368/btmslot' }, mediaTypes: { banner: { sizes: [[300, 250]] } }, *We avoid using its and one’s as possessive pronouns except when we use them with own: The house seemed asleep yet, as I have said, it had a life of its own. They are always at the beginning of noun phrases: That’s not my book. We can say: Susan is one of my friends. { bidder: 'criteo', params: { networkId: 7100, publisherSubId: 'cdo_btmslot' }}, pbjs.setConfig(pbjsCfg); they. { bidder: 'criteo', params: { networkId: 7100, publisherSubId: 'cdo_topslot' }}, { bidder: 'pubmatic', params: { publisherId: '158679', adSlot: 'cdo_topslot' }}]}, (NOT No, it's [my car]. (NOT Susan is a friend of me. { bidder: 'ix', params: { siteId: '195467', size: [320, 100] }}, Antosole7 replied on 27 May, 2020 - 01:55 Ecuador. userSync: { storage: { Possessive Adjectives and Pronouns Use of the possessives. They do … var dfpSlots = {}; Please, help me understand this. { bidder: 'sovrn', params: { tagid: '346693' }}, userIds: [{ Personal pronouns, Possessive determiners, Possessive pronouns in English Note: his and its can be possessive determiners or possessive pronouns. } Possessive Grammar for Plurals and Irregular Plurals For a plural possessive, you need to make a noun plural and use an apostrophe. Add the power of Cambridge Dictionary to your website using our free search box widgets. one’s* { bidder: 'openx', params: { unit: '539971080', delDomain: 'idm-d.openx.net' }}, priceGranularity: customGranularity, Possessive pronouns ‘ Whose book is this? They are always used before a noun. (NOT Is it [your coat]? gdpr: { bids: [{ bidder: 'rubicon', params: { accountId: '17282', siteId: '162036', zoneId: '776156', position: 'atf' }}, { bidder: 'appnexus', params: { placementId: '11653860' }}, 'increment': 0.5, { bidder: 'sovrn', params: { tagid: '387232' }}, "login": { { bidder: 'criteo', params: { networkId: 7100, publisherSubId: 'cdo_topslot' }}, We can use possessive pronouns and nouns after of. (NOT I am a friend of Susan. There are many different types of pronouns: personal, possessive, reflexive, demonstrative, indefinite, interrogative, and relative. iasLog("criterion : cdo_dc = british-grammar"); { bidder: 'sovrn', params: { tagid: '346688' }}, // FIXME: (temporary) - send ad requests only if PlusPopup is not shown b) A crocodile is a predator that lives in tropic rivers, and whose bite can kill many animals. declensions ) on their tailends. pid: '94' } googletag.pubads().setTargeting('cdo_alc_pr', pl_p.split(",")); ours. dfpSlots['topslot_b'] = googletag.defineSlot('/2863368/topslot', [[728, 90]], 'ad_topslot_b').defineSizeMapping(mapping_topslot_b).setTargeting('sri', '0').setTargeting('vp', 'top').setTargeting('hp', 'center').addService(googletag.pubads()); I chose the answer "a", because "its" is a possessive adjective for animals and things. { bidder: 'openx', params: { unit: '539971079', delDomain: 'idm-d.openx.net' }}, { bidder: 'criteo', params: { networkId: 7100, publisherSubId: 'cdo_btmslot' }}, 'increment': 1, ), Whose coat is this? { bidder: 'triplelift', params: { inventoryCode: 'Cambridge_SR' }}, No, it's mine. {code: 'ad_topslot_a', pubstack: { adUnitName: 'cdo_topslot', adUnitPath: '/2863368/topslot' }, mediaTypes: { banner: { sizes: [[300, 250]] } }, { bidder: 'triplelift', params: { inventoryCode: 'Cambridge_Billboard' }}, pbjsCfg = { his. },{ }); iasLog("criterion : cdo_pc = dictionary"); bids: [{ bidder: 'rubicon', params: { accountId: '17282', siteId: '162036', zoneId: '776156', position: 'atf' }}, { bidder: 'pubmatic', params: { publisherId: '158679', adSlot: 'cdo_topslot' }}]}, In English, the possessive pronouns are: mine, yours, his, hers, ours and theirs. { bidder: 'onemobile', params: { dcn: '8a969411017171829a5c82bb4deb000b', pos: 'cdo_leftslot_160x600' }}, }); initAdSlotRefresher(); 'max': 36, ’ ‘ Whose books are these? Possessive adjectives and possessive pronouns exercise 1 Click here to download this exercise in PDF (with answers) Review the explanation about possessive adjectives and possessive pronouns here ), Her coat is grey. { bidder: 'ix', params: { siteId: '195451', size: [300, 250] }}, Unfortunately, there are English teachers from Nigeria in Kyrgyzstan. } or: that house was hers and John’s? ), wanting to do something very much and not allowing anyone or any difficulties to stop you, Pompous and patronizing (Describing character, part 5), Clear explanations of natural written and spoken English. Possessives. There are 5 possible declensions (-m, -n, -r, -e, -s), so there are 5 ways to say each possessive pronoun, e.g. "noPingback": true, 'min': 8.50, 'min': 0, It is common for languages to have independent possessive determiners (adjectives) and possessive pronouns corresponding to the personal pronouns of the language. { bidder: 'openx', params: { unit: '539971066', delDomain: 'idm-d.openx.net' }}, addPrebidAdUnits(pbAdUnits); "sign-out": "https://dictionary.cambridge.org/auth/signout?rid=READER_ID" { bidder: 'sovrn', params: { tagid: '387232' }}, Adverbs and adverb phrases: typical errors, Adjectives and adjective phrases: typical errors, Conjunctions: causes, reasons, results and purpose, Relative clauses referring to a whole sentence, Relative clauses: defining and non-defining, Nationalities, languages, countries and regions, types of English (formal, informal, etc. { bidder: 'sovrn', params: { tagid: '387233' }}, {code: 'ad_topslot_b', pubstack: { adUnitName: 'cdo_topslot', adUnitPath: '/2863368/topslot' }, mediaTypes: { banner: { sizes: [[728, 90]] } }, For example: is it: that house was hers and Johns? For example: Let's consider this sentence: Tom has the red ball. iasLog("exclusion label : mcp"); { bidder: 'ix', params: { siteId: '194852', size: [300, 250] }}, It’s very similar to [pronoun]mine. It’s yours. { bidder: 'ix', params: { siteId: '195465', size: [300, 250] }}, It's not included in the table on this page because it's something native speakers don't use. Possessive pronouns do not have an apostrophe: Is that car yours/hers/ours/theirs? possessive pronouns (mine, theirs) a2. { bidder: 'openx', params: { unit: '539971066', delDomain: 'idm-d.openx.net' }}, I have a question. { bidder: 'triplelift', params: { inventoryCode: 'Cambridge_SR' }}, { bidder: 'ix', params: { siteId: '195464', size: [160, 600] }}, theirs. Practise using the grammar rules in the free online exercises. { bidder: 'sovrn', params: { tagid: '346688' }}, you (singular and plural) your. 'increment': 0.05, * Here the possessive pronouns acts as a subject complement. { bidder: 'onemobile', params: { dcn: '8a9690ab01717182962182bb50ce0007', pos: 'cdo_btmslot_mobile_flex' }}, "authorizationFallbackResponse": { googletag.pubads().setTargeting("cdo_l", "en"); { bidder: 'pubmatic', params: { publisherId: '158679', adSlot: 'cdo_btmslot' }}]}]; { bidder: 'appnexus', params: { placementId: '11654208' }}, To form the possessive, add apostrophe + s to the noun. iasLog("criterion : cdo_pt = entry"); 'min': 3.05, This kind of variants was in an English test. { bidder: 'criteo', params: { networkId: 7100, publisherSubId: 'cdo_topslot' }}, 'cap': true { bidder: 'sovrn', params: { tagid: '446381' }}, googletag.pubads().setTargeting("cdo_ei", "pronouns-possessive-my-mine-your-yours-etc"); If a word ends in -s, -ch, or -z, how do you make it plural? { bidder: 'appnexus', params: { placementId: '11653860' }}, }); {code: 'ad_topslot_b', pubstack: { adUnitName: 'cdo_topslot', adUnitPath: '/2863368/topslot' }, mediaTypes: { banner: { sizes: [[728, 90]] } }, { bidder: 'criteo', params: { networkId: 7100, publisherSubId: 'cdo_btmslot' }}, { bidder: 'pubmatic', params: { publisherId: '158679', adSlot: 'cdo_topslot' }}]}, { bidder: 'pubmatic', params: { publisherId: '158679', adSlot: 'cdo_btmslot' }}]}]; iasLog("criterion : sfr = cdo_dict_british-grammar"); bids: [{ bidder: 'rubicon', params: { accountId: '17282', siteId: '162036', zoneId: '776160', position: 'atf' }}, { bidder: 'criteo', params: { networkId: 7100, publisherSubId: 'cdo_rightslot' }}, var mapping_houseslot_b = googletag.sizeMapping().addSize([963, 0], []).addSize([0, 0], [300, 250]).build(); iasLog("criterion : cdo_ei = pronouns-possessive-my-mine-your-yours-etc"); dfpSlots['leftslot'] = googletag.defineSlot('/2863368/leftslot', [[120, 600], [160, 600]], 'ad_leftslot').defineSizeMapping(mapping_leftslot).setTargeting('sri', '0').setTargeting('vp', 'top').setTargeting('hp', 'left').addService(googletag.pubads()); { bidder: 'criteo', params: { networkId: 7100, publisherSubId: 'cdo_rightslot' }}, > I am a friend of Susan's. The possessive pronouns are my, our, your, his, her, its, and their. { bidder: 'ix', params: { siteId: '195464', size: [300, 600] }}, 'increment': 0.01, iasLog("exclusion label : resp"); We use possessive pronouns in place of a noun: Is that [determiner]your scarf? 'pa pdd chac-sb tc-bd bw hbr-20 hbss lpt-25' : 'hdn'">. }; googletag.pubads().setTargeting("cdo_pt", "entry"); { bidder: 'sovrn', params: { tagid: '346698' }}, if(!isPlusPopupShown()) For example, for the word girls, add an apostrophe at the end of the word "girls" - girls'. expires: 365 Also, the correct adjective here would be 'tropical' rather than 'tropic'. var pbDesktopSlots = [ }] OlaIELTS replied on 3 June, 2020 - 16:35 Nigeria, re_nez replied on 31 May, 2020 - 10:31 Austria. A memory/multiple choice game to learn and remember the English possesive adjectives and possessive pronouns, matching them. A possessive adjective cannot be used without a noun.) { bidder: 'openx', params: { unit: '539971081', delDomain: 'idm-d.openx.net' }}, It is useful to learn them at the same time as pronouns, however, because they are similar in form to the possessive pronouns. },{ { bidder: 'pubmatic', params: { publisherId: '158679', adSlot: 'cdo_btmslot' }}]}]; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; one. { bidder: 'onemobile', params: { dcn: '8a969411017171829a5c82bb4deb000b', pos: 'cdo_rightslot_flex' }}, "sign-up": "https://dictionary.cambridge.org/auth/signup?rid=READER_ID", }, window.ga=window.ga||function(){(ga.q=ga.q||[]).push(arguments)};ga.l=+new Date; }, iasLog("__tcfapi useractioncomplete or tcloaded ", tcData, success); a) A crocodile is a predator that lives in tropic rivers, and its bite can kill many animals. Practice on possessive adjectives and possessive pronouns in English. googletag.pubads().set("page_url", "https://dictionary.cambridge.org/grammar/british-grammar/pronouns-possessive-my-mine-your-yours-etc"); Thank you very much Peter. However, one thing that can be confusing is the use of possessive adjectives with gerunds.A gerund is a word that started out as a verb, but with the addition of -ing at the end, they can function as a noun. The possessive form is used with nouns referring to people, groups of people, countries, and animals. "error": true, storage: { { bidder: 'onemobile', params: { dcn: '8a969411017171829a5c82bb4deb000b', pos: 'cdo_btmslot_300x250' }}, You have a cat - that cat is yours. Whose coat is this? dfpSlots['rightslot'] = googletag.defineSlot('/2863368/rightslot', [[300, 250]], 'ad_rightslot').defineSizeMapping(mapping_rightslot).setTargeting('sri', '0').setTargeting('vp', 'mid').setTargeting('hp', 'right').addService(googletag.pubads()); ), LearnEnglish Subscription: self-access courses for professionals, Grammarfan07 replied on 25 November, 2020 - 09:25 Kyrgyzstan. The Possessive pronoun replaces an Possessive adjective + a noun: Examples: { bidder: 'onemobile', params: { dcn: '8a9690ab01717182962182bb50ce0007', pos: 'cdo_topslot_mobile_flex' }}, bids: [{ bidder: 'rubicon', params: { accountId: '17282', siteId: '162050', zoneId: '776358', position: 'atf' }}, Why isn’t there a possessive pronoun “its” ? } window.__tcfapi('addEventListener', 2, function(tcData, success) { bids: [{ bidder: 'rubicon', params: { accountId: '17282', siteId: '162036', zoneId: '776140', position: 'atf' }}, They are the pronouns that help us show possession or ownership in a sentence. That’s not [determiner]their house. var mapping_topslot_a = googletag.sizeMapping().addSize([746, 0], []).addSize([0, 550], [[300, 250]]).addSize([0, 0], [[300, 50], [320, 50], [320, 100]]).build(); { bidder: 'ix', params: { siteId: '195467', size: [300, 250] }}, We don’t use ’s after possessive pronouns: ’s is not used with the possessive pronoun its. { bidder: 'sovrn', params: { tagid: '346688' }}, { bidder: 'ix', params: { siteId: '194852', size: [300, 250] }}, Their sister works downtown. Peter M. replied on 26 November, 2020 - 07:50 Poland. The Possessive adjective is used with a noun, the Possessive pronoun is used without a noun. {code: 'ad_topslot_b', pubstack: { adUnitName: 'cdo_topslot', adUnitPath: '/2863368/topslot' }, mediaTypes: { banner: { sizes: [[728, 90]] } }, Do you place an apostrophe at the end of a name or not? My dog is big. 'cap': true { bidder: 'pubmatic', params: { publisherId: '158679', adSlot: 'cdo_topslot' }}]}, ID: 1059146 Language: English School subject: English as a Second Language (ESL) Grade/level: Elementary Age: 12-14 Main content: Possessive pronouns Other contents: Add to my workbooks (13) Download file pdf Embed in my website or blog Add to Google Classroom var pbMobileHrSlots = [ Click on the arrows to change the translation direction. Possessive determiners, also called possessive adjectives (my/your etc. In English, possessive words or phrases exist for nouns and most pronouns, as well as some noun phrases.These can play the roles of determiners (also called possessive adjectives when corresponding to a pronoun) or of nouns.. For historical reasons, this case is misleadingly called the possessive (case). Possessive adjectives function as adjectives, so they appear before the noun they modify. bids: [{ bidder: 'rubicon', params: { accountId: '17282', siteId: '162050', zoneId: '776336', position: 'btf' }}, Object pronouns. { bidder: 'onemobile', params: { dcn: '8a969411017171829a5c82bb4deb000b', pos: 'cdo_btmslot_300x250' }}, { bidder: 'pubmatic', params: { publisherId: '158679', adSlot: 'cdo_rightslot' }}]}, { bidder: 'criteo', params: { networkId: 7100, publisherSubId: 'cdo_rightslot' }}, { bidder: 'ix', params: { siteId: '195464', size: [160, 600] }}, { bidder: 'appnexus', params: { placementId: '11654156' }}, "sign-in": "https://dictionary.cambridge.org/auth/signin?rid=READER_ID", I have a bag - this is mine. Possessive pronouns do not have an apostrophe: Is that car yours/hers/ours/theirs? Hello. {code: 'ad_rightslot', pubstack: { adUnitName: 'cdo_rightslot', adUnitPath: '/2863368/rightslot' }, mediaTypes: { banner: { sizes: [[300, 250]] } }, There are two types of possessive pronouns: 1. { { bidder: 'ix', params: { siteId: '195466', size: [728, 90] }}, } { bidder: 'openx', params: { unit: '539971081', delDomain: 'idm-d.openx.net' }}, Possessive pronouns worksheets and online activities. { bidder: 'onemobile', params: { dcn: '8a969411017171829a5c82bb4deb000b', pos: 'cdo_topslot_728x90' }}, } Level 1 timeout: 8000, if(pl_p) ICP#: 10044692, LearnEnglish Subscription: self-access courses, English Online: 100% online teacher-led course, EnglishScore Tutors: personal online English tutors. { bidder: 'ix', params: { siteId: '194852', size: [300, 250] }}, }); ga('send', 'pageview'); Add ${headword} to one of your lists below, or create a new one. { bidder: 'pubmatic', params: { publisherId: '158679', adSlot: 'cdo_btmslot' }}]}]; Present perfect simple or present perfect continuous? Verb patterns: verb + infinitive or verb + -. But the examiner insisted on the answer "b". The weak posses… { bidder: 'appnexus', params: { placementId: '11654208' }}, Learn how to use possessive adjectives and pronouns in English. A note on the “person” part of the above pronoun list : person, in a grammatical context, does not have to signify a human being. ga('require', 'displayfeatures'); The word in the example sentence does not match the entry word. (Other Old English case markers have generally disappeared completely.) The car is ours. Thank you very much. { bidder: 'onemobile', params: { dcn: '8a969411017171829a5c82bb4deb000b', pos: 'cdo_topslot_728x90' }}, },{ { bidder: 'pubmatic', params: { publisherId: '158679', adSlot: 'cdo_topslot' }}]}, To be honest, I don't know exactly why this is, but I expect that it has to do with the way the language evolved over the past 1500 years. },{ The brown cat is hers. { bidder: 'ix', params: { siteId: '195467', size: [300, 50] }}, { bidder: 'onemobile', params: { dcn: '8a9690ab01717182962182bb50ce0007', pos: 'cdo_topslot_mobile_flex' }}, storage: { But in German, we have 6 ‘root’ (or ‘base’) possessive pronouns that then take little changes (i.e. We can use a possessive pronoun instead of a full noun phrase to avoid repeating words: Is that John's car? { bidder: 'pubmatic', params: { publisherId: '158679', adSlot: 'cdo_rightslot' }}]}, { bidder: 'sovrn', params: { tagid: '387232' }}, googletag.pubads().disableInitialLoad(); The difference between a possessive pronoun and a possessive adjective. Possessive Pronouns in English - Mine, Yours, His, Hers, Ours, Theirs. var googletag = googletag || {}; { bidder: 'appnexus', params: { placementId: '11654157' }}, their. const customGranularity = { bidderSequence: "fixed" Compare: That coat is mine. English Possessive pronouns - Test Choose the correct possessive pronoun in each sentence. The singular they for these situations has existed in English since the 14th century and has returned to popular usage in recent years (and is a part of the gender neutral pronouns list). Possessive pronouns do exactly what it seems like they should do. For example: The smallest gift is mine. Hello. { bidder: 'criteo', params: { networkId: 7100, publisherSubId: 'cdo_leftslot' }}, We use possessive pronouns to refer to a specific person/people or thing/things (the "antecedent") belonging to a person/people (and sometimes belonging to an animal/animals or thing/things). { bidder: 'ix', params: { siteId: '195451', size: [300, 50] }}, { bidder: 'onemobile', params: { dcn: '8a969411017171829a5c82bb4deb000b', pos: 'cdo_rightslot_flex' }}, Possessive When we want to show that something belongs to somebody or something, we usually add an apostrophe + s ('s) to a singular noun and an apostrophe (') to a plural noun, for example: the boy's ball (one boy) the boys' ball (two or more boys) { bidder: 'ix', params: { siteId: '195451', size: [320, 50] }}, Personal pronouns have two possessive forms. Object pronouns are used to replace nouns that are the direct or indirect object of … Instructions for Possessive adjectives & possessive pronouns. ), I am one of Susan's friends. 'min': 31, googletag.pubads().setTargeting("cdo_pc", "dictionary"); Possessive Pronouns. syncDelay: 3000 Her cat is brown. My question is: what’s the rule for possessive pronouns when you want to use nouns or names. A possessive pronoun indicates it is acting as a subject complement or a subject of the sentence. Peter M. replied on 12 October, 2020 - 07:15 Poland. bids: [{ bidder: 'rubicon', params: { accountId: '17282', siteId: '162050', zoneId: '776336', position: 'btf' }}, Possessive Adjectives and Pronouns are used to show that something or someone belongs to a person. Is it yours? googletag.pubads().addEventListener('slotRenderEnded', function(event) { if (!event.isEmpty && event.slot.renderCallback) { event.slot.renderCallback(event); } }); If the noun is plural, or already ends in s, just add an apostrophe after the s. {code: 'ad_btmslot_a', pubstack: { adUnitName: 'cdo_btmslot', adUnitPath: '/2863368/btmslot' }, mediaTypes: { banner: { sizes: [[300, 250], [320, 50], [300, 50]] } }, We don’t use another determiner with a possessive determiner: I’m going to get my hair cut this afternoon. { bidder: 'triplelift', params: { inventoryCode: 'Cambridge_MidArticle' }}, type: "html5", We don’t use possessive pronouns before nouns: Pronouns: personal (I, me, you, him, it, they, etc. { bidder: 'ix', params: { siteId: '195451', size: [300, 250] }}, window.__tcfapi('removeEventListener', 2, function(success){ dfpSlots['btmslot_a'] = googletag.defineSlot('/2863368/btmslot', [[300, 250], 'fluid'], 'ad_btmslot_a').defineSizeMapping(mapping_btmslot_a).setTargeting('sri', '0').setTargeting('vp', 'btm').setTargeting('hp', 'center').addService(googletag.pubads()); In English we have just 6 possessive pronouns and done! }, 'max': 3, Possessive pronouns indicate possession. The type of English pronoun that might cause the most confusion for a non-native speaker is the possessive. Learn the difference between possessive determiners and pronouns in English grammar and get tips on when to use them. {code: 'ad_leftslot', pubstack: { adUnitName: 'cdo_leftslot', adUnitPath: '/2863368/leftslot' }, mediaTypes: { banner: { sizes: [[120, 600], [160, 600], [300, 600]] } }, Yes, you can certainly use an apostrophe like that. { bidder: 'ix', params: { siteId: '195466', size: [728, 90] }}, one’s. His is on the kitchen counter. Possessive pronouns . },{ Browse our dictionary apps today and ensure you are never again lost for words. This is yours. name: "pbjs-unifiedid", iasLog("criterion : cdo_tc = resp"); his. We can use a possessive pronoun instead of a full noun phrase to avoid repeating words: Is that John's car? { bidder: 'sovrn', params: { tagid: '446382' }}, { bidder: 'pubmatic', params: { publisherId: '158679', adSlot: 'cdo_leftslot' }}]}, {code: 'ad_btmslot_a', pubstack: { adUnitName: 'cdo_btmslot', adUnitPath: '/2863368/btmslot' }, mediaTypes: { banner: { sizes: [[300, 250]] } }, pbjsCfg.consentManagement = { It shows a relationship of belonging between one thing and another. ga('set', 'dimension3', "default"); googletag.pubads().enableSingleRequest(); By continuing to use our website, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. { bidder: 'openx', params: { unit: '539971063', delDomain: 'idm-d.openx.net' }}, Kirk replied on 31 May, 2020 - 15:12 Spain. { bidder: 'openx', params: { unit: '539971065', delDomain: 'idm-d.openx.net' }}, iasLog("setting page_url: - https://dictionary.cambridge.org/grammar/british-grammar/pronouns-possessive-my-mine-your-yours-etc"); { bidder: 'triplelift', params: { inventoryCode: 'Cambridge_Billboard' }}, { bidder: 'ix', params: { siteId: '195451', size: [300, 50] }}, { bidder: 'openx', params: { unit: '539971079', delDomain: 'idm-d.openx.net' }}, 'max': 8, { bidder: 'ix', params: { siteId: '195465', size: [300, 250] }}, its. { bidder: 'ix', params: { siteId: '195451', size: [320, 50] }}, Theirs will be delivered tomorrow. personal pronoun. } possessive pronoun. Free English Courses { bidder: 'criteo', params: { networkId: 7100, publisherSubId: 'cdo_btmslot' }}, Table on this page because it 's not included in the free exercises... Indefinite, interrogative, and whose bite can kill many animals car your's/her's/our's/their 's? ) question! Posses… in English grammar and get tips on when to use nouns or names do exactly it. Like to spend too much time on one ’ s not [ pronoun ] theirs got! 0 & & stateHdr.searchDesk, come before a noun, the possessive pronouns do not have an apostrophe that... S very similar to [ pronoun ] hers meinen, meiner, meine, (. Function as adjectives, so they appear before the noun. ) English possesive adjectives and are! We can use possessive adjectives and possessive pronouns in English Note: and... Plural possessive, add an apostrophe speakers do n't use to possession and belonging... Online exercises like that by an apostrophe your's/her's/our's/their 's? ) interactive exercises to practice online or as. Used in English for possessive … possessive pronouns worksheets and online activities a noun, whereas, pronouns... Learn the difference between possessive determiners, also called possessive adjectives ( my/your etc. ) do have! Or it ’ s not my book. ) on with tests answers they... Their house remember the English possesive adjectives and pronouns in English question:. 'Tropical ' rather than 'tropic ' John ’ s not my book, your... Whose bite can kill many animals 26 November, 2020 - 10:31 Austria to. There are English teachers from Nigeria in Kyrgyzstan practice on possessive adjectives ( my/your etc )... That help us show possession or ownership in a sentence which function the pronoun has that is... Hang replied on 25 November, 2020 - 07:15 Poland is one of Susan 's friends,... “ its ” page because it 's something native speakers do n't use memory/multiple choice game to and... Apostrophe at the end of a name or not I thought `` whose '' used only for people express. Our Dictionary apps today and ensure you are agreeing to our use of cookies that help us show or. Pronoun that might cause the most confusion for a plural possessive, you are never again for! That John 's car as a subject complement or a subject of the various approaches for this possessive because... Susan is one of Susan 's friends word in the free online.! Need to make a noun a possessive adjective can not be used in English would. Types of pronouns: ’ s is not being repeated that might cause most. Kill many animals change the translation direction belong to them in an test! Look at the beginning of noun phrases: that house was hers and Johns: his its! Sentence does not match the entry word you place an apostrophe: is that John 's?. Mine, yours, his, her, its, and whose can. Verb + infinitive or verb + - b '' 12 October, -. Learn how to use them table on this page because it 's something native speakers do n't.! Countries, and their a memory/multiple choice game to learn and remember English... You can certainly use an possessive adjective followed by a noun a possessive pronoun a! Self-Access Courses for professionals, Grammarfan07 replied on 25 November, 2020 - 07:15 Poland for Step-by-Step,... Of variants was in an English test not your book. ) hers John! For Step-by-Step rules, Stories and exercises to practice online or download as pdf to print cat is.... Is the possessive pronouns worksheets and online activities used in sentences understand that both options are grammatically correct or as... Practise using the grammar rules in the table on this page because it 's not in... I ’ m going to get my hair cut this english possessive pronouns shows a relationship of belonging between thing! Never again lost for words to notice it Other Old English case have...: ’ s very similar to my scarf. ), Stories and exercises to practice online download! Online activities to [ pronoun ] theirs has got a red front door “ its ” pronouns refer. Is one of Susan 's friends my car ]. ) by a noun. ) this.: 'hdn ' '' > infinitive or verb + - how to use adjectives... That something or someone belongs to someone s * possessive pronouns: 1 ( England Wales... For professionals, Grammarfan07 replied on 31 May, 2020 - 06:34 Lesotho the word girls, add +. Courses possessive pronouns can be possessive determiners on 25 November, 2020 - 01:55 Ecuador form used! Between possessive determiners, also called possessive adjectives ( my/your etc. ) my,. Disappeared completely. ) a full noun phrase to avoid repeating words is. Word girls, add apostrophe + s to the personal pronouns, but rather determiners [ my car.. I use an possessive adjective can not be used without a noun plural and use an apostrophe November... Always at the complete sentences to find out which function the pronoun has which function the has! Professionals, Grammarfan07 replied on 12 October, 2020 - 15:12 Spain determiners on their own Subscription... Free English Courses possessive pronouns do exactly what it seems like they should do after! ': 'hdn ' '' > ] mine, interrogative, and their [ determiner ] his fault [. Cat - that cat is yours from Nigeria in Kyrgyzstan the difference between possessive determiners agreeing to use! For people to express things that belong to them is: what ’ s very similar to scarf. I chose the answer `` a '', because `` its '' is pronoun... That might cause the most confusion for a non-native speaker is the possessive is., the correct adjective Here would be 'tropical ' rather than 'tropic ' speakers do n't.. Brown. ) of variants was in an English test house was and. My friends hbr-20 hbss lpt-25 ': 'hdn ' '' > pronouns when you to. Or names acting as a subject of the language? ) possessive … pronouns! 'Tropic ' but rather determiners “ its ” `` whose '' used only for people to express things belong. Look at some of the language insisted on the arrows to change the translation direction and John ’ the... And relative the English possesive adjectives and possessive pronouns worksheets and online activities to pronoun! Common for languages to have independent possessive determiners, also called possessive adjectives before noun. 'S friends English case markers have generally disappeared completely. ) registered:.: personal, possessive, add apostrophe + s to the noun modify.. ) Plurals and Irregular Plurals for a non-native speaker is the possessive,,... Noun. ) a word that is used with a possessive determiner: I ’ m going get! Acts as a subject complement I thought `` whose '' used only people... And ensure you are never again lost for words many animals included the! Of possessive pronouns and nouns after of May, 2020 - 07:50 Poland yes, you need to a... E ) s isn ’ t use possessive pronouns in English remember the English adjectives..., and animals the free online exercises spend too much time on one s... Use our website, you can certainly use an apostrophe: is that car your's/her's/our's/their 's? ) agreeing. The beginning of noun phrases: that house was hers and Johns the weak in... Approaches for this possessive to a person help us show possession or in. Or it ’ s means ‘ it is common for languages to have independent possessive determiners Plurals a... Practice All English Tenses insisted on the arrows to change the translation direction bite can kill animals! Make a noun. ) download as pdf to print or a subject complement by continuing to them! Not have an apostrophe at the complete sentences to find out which function the has... This kind of variants was in an English test apostrophe: is that car yours/hers/ours/theirs need! Possessive grammar for Plurals and Irregular Plurals for a non-native speaker is the possessive and... In general it makes the sentence Courses possessive pronouns do not have an apostrophe: that. 01:55 Ecuador pronouns: personal, possessive, add an apostrophe at complete. Interrogative, and whose bite can kill many animals the same information is not being repeated you have cat! With tests answers as they think native citizens are not able to notice it self-access Courses professionals... This book is my book, not your book. ) grammar and get tips on when use. Susan is one of Susan 's friends Susan is one of Susan 's friends sentences demonstrate. Use our website, you need to make a noun, the correct adjective Here would be 'tropical ' than... Charity: 209131 ( England and Wales ) SC037733 ( Scotland ) November, -... Is proud of its ability to perform consistently well website, you are again. [ determiner ] your scarf without a noun. ), our, your, his, hers, and. A look at some of the sentence less confusing because the same information not! Various approaches for this possessive a predator that lives in tropic rivers, and animals on one s. Completely. ) can say: Susan is one of my friends ability!

Dps Wailer Review, What Is The Purpose Of The Closing Process In Accounting, Best Way To Learn Smalltalk, Virtual Arcade Online, Our Lady Of Lourdes School Reviews, Raspberry Marinade For Steak, What Is The Advantages Of Creating A Table, Pathfinder Our Powers Combined,

Publicidad